Friday, May 11, 2012

Tuna Salad Anyone?

So, for the past couple of years I've been wanting to write some blog posts about food and nutrition; what works, what doesn't work, what I eat before and after training, etc. I even have a large un-used folder with things like pictures of fresh Alaskan caribou, Rob cleaning fish after dip netting, me making smoothies with AK tundra blues.... more of that to come, for sure. 

Before I start, I just want to clarify that I am no expert. I have no background in nutrition other than being a hungry athlete.  I take on a what I believe is a practical approach to nutrition - I eat smart and don't deny myself of eating the things I love.  My approach is to focus primarily on eating whole foods, ie, foods that have ingredients that you can pronounce as opposed to the Big Mac from the science experiment that looked the same after sitting out in the open for 20 years. (Did you see those pictures on Facebook?)  

AMEN! 

Anyone that knows me well will tell you that my favorite food is peanut butter and I love a nice glass of wine at the end of the night.  But, I also absolutely love vegetables and would be happy to make a meal with brussel sprouts being the central focus.  I do eat meat (mostly wild game from Alaska) because as Justin Wadsworth, the head coach for the Canadian National team says, "In order to ski like an animal you have to eat like one."  I'll admit that I'm horrible with vitamins.  I'll go through phases where I take supplements in the am and pm, and have the little pill jar organized with rows of Vitamin D, Calcium, Iron, etc. Then, for no reason at all, I'll stop, cold turkey.  

Now that I've self-disclosed a bit I'll get on with it & share a recipe for the day if you will.  As an athlete I am usually hungry and on the go quite a bit. I admittedly spend a lot of time preparing healthy food and make it my goal to always have something healthy and nutritious within reach.  (This keeps me from stopping at the gas station and gorging on potato chips!)  I usually have a Costco case of granola bars in my car for "emergencies" as well.  As many athletes know, the window 20 minutes post workout is the best time to get something into your body that will aid in recovery.  

Anyways, I've been on a tuna salad kick lately.  I know that not everyone is a tuna fan and no worries if you think it's gross but I happen to really like it.  I've also found that since Tuna is canned, I always have it in my cupboard. Plus, I can add almost ANYTHING to it and it usually turns out tasty and nutritious.  


A couple weeks ago in Hawaii I was cooking with my friend, Sarahlee - (or at least watching her cook for us - thanks Sarah!) and she liked to make what she calls, "huevos basuras."  If you know Spanish it translates to, "Garbage Eggs."  That doesn't sound appetizing but the whole concept behind it is that she puts whatever she has in the fridge into her eggs and it always turned out really good. So, that's exactly what I did with my tuna salad this afternoon. I put some stuff in, mixed it up, and had it on crackers and a whole wheat tortilla.  I don't really like measuring stuff so this really suits my style. Here what my ingredient list for the day: 

  • Tuna
  • Nancy's plain yogurt
  • White wine vinegar
  • Diced Apple
  • Diced red onion & diced green onion
  • Yellow pepper
  • Salt
  • Lemon pepper
  • Lemon juice
  • The end of a mustard bottle 
  • Wasabi horse radish
This took less than 10 minutes and I had a great lunch!  Now, the above ingredients have virtually no fat..... If you're looking for this meal to carry you a while longer, make a tuna melt and add cheese! 

More to come! Thanks for reading, 
Cheers, 
Holly :) 




1 comment:

  1. Can't wait for the next installment! I'm interested in ideas to stretch dipnetted reds as lunches. The nutrition (and price) of daily salmon is hard to beat, though I am getting a little bored with whole wheat combos.

    ReplyDelete