Sunday, February 14, 2010

My deepest condolences

I just got word that there were two fatal avalanches in Alaska yesterday.  One up Hiland road and one on the Kenai Peninsula. Not all of the names have been released but we do know that Jim Bowles, President of Conoco Phillips Alaska was one of the victims.  My heart goes out to everyone involved in this tradjety, the families, the Conoco employees, and all of the friends that are left behind to deal with this accident.

Under Jim's leadership Conoco has been a wonderful contributor to cross country skiing in Alaska.  For the past two years they have been the title sponsor for US Nationals at Kincaid Park, they have been a long time sponosor of the APU program, and they have recently jumped on board to help my Olympic pursuit.

Avalanches scare me to death - as many of you know, my husband Rob was buried for ten minutes in a small slide last year in British Columbia. Luckily I wasn't there to witness it but it was still a very difficult experience for me.

My condolences to everyone affected by these slides.  My heart goes out to you.

Sincerely,
Holly

2 comments: